1. Identifying market needs - by being in the market.
2. Responding to challenges - where there is a will, there is usually a way - if you know the terrain and how to navigate it.
3. Developing specifications - fine-tuning the concepts and getting past the sticky points.
4. Innovating to protect the concept - making it pay long-term.
5. Managing the implementation - knowing the turf and simplifying the paths.
6. Fitting existing distribution - and developing new venues.
7. Testing. Testing. Testing - the advantage of a protected approach.
8. Revising - improving the payoff while the competition follows.
9. Building beyond the beyond - further securing the lead.